Asparagus & Shrimp Carbonara
Traditional carbonara is an Italian pasta dish that satisfies the soul, making it one of my favourite Italian soul food recipes, and with the added asparagus & shrimp it’s like a double, triple bonus comfort, food recipe. I make traditional carbonara from time to time, but I have this little quirk about myself that I can’t keep anything the way it is. Sometimes it’s a good thing, and sometimes it’s a thing that flops, but this little quirk worked out just fine for me this time.
It’s finally Friday, I’m so thankful, I feel exhausted this week, so much running around, cleaning, cooking and baking, then cleaning again, even washed the car with help from my little guy, plus the temperature this week was hot, hot, hot. I’m not complaining since I love the heat, every time the winter starts to roll around, I tell everyone I must go south with the birds, cause I’m tropical, obviously I stay here since I can’t abandon my nest.
As the weather starts to get warmer on this side of the globe I hope all of you find good ways to keep cool, and remember to stay hydrated. Don’t keep the kiddies or yourself out in the sun for too long periods at a time, and make some delicious and refreshing Monster Berry Yogurt Pops to cool you down, or for the adults you can enjoy a nice refreshing Chocolate Mocha Frappe.
Now we can get to the recipe on the menu for a main entrée today, Asparagus & Shrimp Carbonara, yummy can’t wait to dig in. Please feel free to leave me your comments at the end of the post, and I hope all of you have a nice day, and stay cool, refreshed, and keep your tummies satisfied with good food, Ciao for now.
Asparagus & Shrimp Carbonara
Recipe type: Pasta Recipe
Serves: 4 people
- 1 box Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta
- 1 bundle of fresh asparagus
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen shrimp, make sure they are well cleaned, deveined, and tails removed.
- 2-3 slices of pancetta bacon
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil plus another 1tbsp. for drizzling over asparagus
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ⅛ tsp. tarragon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. cajun
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. sweet chilli pepper
- Wash asparagus, pat dry and cut off the ends of the stalk. You can either line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add the asparagus drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper, bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes till browned and fork tender, or you can grill them on the BBQ outside. Heat up the BBQ to 300F, than turn down to a medium low, place the asparagus on a vegetable tray, make sure they are already seasoned with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, grill them till they are fork tender, and have a nice colour to them about 12-15 minutes as well. I prefer the BBQ since it’s so hot right now, I don’t want to turn my house into a sauna.
- Once the asparagus are ready cut them into 1-1/2″ pieces and set them aside.
- Chop up pancetta and toss into a heated non stick skillet, use a large skillet cause you will use it for the rest of the cooking as well.
- While the pancetta is browning fill a large pot with water and start to bring it to a boil to cook your pasta.
- Remove pancetta from pan onto a paper towel to drain excess grease, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the pan, and heat it up on medium heat added crushed garlic, cook it till the flavours are released about 1 minute, turning it over once so not to burn the garlic, remove the garlic from the pan if you wish or you can take it out and chop it up when it cools.
- Add clean and washed shrimp, season the shrimp with tarragon, cajun, cayenne, sweet chilli and black pepper, cook stirring occasionally, flipping them over to brown both sides till fully cooked about 5-7 minutes.
- Place eggs in a bowl, whisk with a fork add cheese and blend in, set aside for a minute.
- Add cooked asparagus and pancetta back to the pan the warm them up again.
- Once your pasta is cooked according to directions on the package drain, and serve a small amount of the pasta water.
- Toss the pasta into the skillet and blend in with asparagus, pancetta, and shrimp.
- Remove from heat, wait a few seconds that the sizzling stops, add whisked eggs yolks and cheese mixture toss to coat evenly, if you find it to thick you can add a little of the pasta water to loosen things up a bit, use small amounts so you don’t add to much. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs just enough that you get a smooth and creamy sauce. Serve hot