Asparagus Shrimp Spring Rolls
Asian cuisine are among one of those food groups I love eating, but I fear at times I don’t do it any justice, only because I don’t get very much practice at making the dishes since for the most part I would be the only one enjoying them in my house. I know crazy right, but I really do have some picky eaters on my hands, and for the most part a lot of great Asian dishes are loaded with veggies, so chopping them up into dust so no one would notice them would just destroy the dishes.
Today I decided to say I’m making some asparagus shrimp spring rolls just for me, and everyone else can have something else. I chose to make these spring rolls with rice wraps, so no deep-frying here. I added great shrimp paired with fresh crispy asparagus, shredded carrots, sun-dried tomatoes and topped with a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese, wrapped up nicely, and ready to be eaten for dinner with a great tossed salad on the side, and I will be pairing this great dinner with a glass of white vino. I don’t know if its customary to eat Asian cuisine with wine, so excuse my ignorance, but this is my Italian-Asian twist. Hope you enjoy it if you give it a try.
- 6 rice paper wraps
- 20 shrimp cleaned tails removed
- 18 asparagus spears with 1 tbsp. olive oil and ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green onion chopped
- 6 sun dried tomatoes
- 6 tsp. feta cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic mashed
- 1 tsp. BBQ Whiskey seasoning by clubhouse
- ¼ tsp. cajon spice
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, clean asparagus and cut off ends, drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with sea salt, bake in oven for 10-15 minutes till fork tender, set aside when done.
- In a skillet heat up olive oil, mash garlic using the blade of your knife and place into the heated skillet, saute for 1 minute add in cleaned shrimp, season shrimp with last 3 spices and cook for 2 minutes, turn over, add shredded carrots and green onions cook for another 3-4 minutes till carrots soften and shrimp is pink and fully cooked, remove garlic from pan and set aside while you prepare the rice wraps.
- Heat up water and place in a 12″ pie plate. I heat up 1 rice wrap at a time, just so they don’t stick together. Place the rice wrap in the pie plate for 30-50 seconds till it is soft, make sure it gets completely submerged in the water, remove from water and lay it out flap on to a clean working surface.
- Place 3 asparagus spears on to one side closest to you top with about 2 tbsp spoons of the shrimp and carrot mixture, lay 2 sun-dried tomatoes on top, sprinkle 1 tsp. feta cheese, than fold in the sides and roll it up completely so its closed on all sides, set aside on to a dish and complete the rest.