Avocado Turkey Burger
Spring has landed in my neck of the woods, and the BBQ has been unleashed. I couldn’t wait to get outside and fire it up with all this gorgeous weather we have been so fortunate to have. I hope for everyone who is able to enjoy this beautiful Spring weather that you get outside and soak it all up as well.
This BBQ burger that we are going to be having today is filled with omega 3 goodness, helping you to maintain good heart health with very low saturated fat, low sodium, and low calories.
The avocados are all you need for bounding the turkey meat together so this recipe contains no eggs, a plus for someone who is allergic to eggs.
For those of you trying to maintain better health, and make changes to your diet that will help you shed pounds without even losing out on foods that you love. This burger really is a keeper, you won’t miss out on those high fat beef burgers that take your digestive system forever to digest, causing your metabolism to slow down, and an extra FYI that I bet a great deal of you don’t know, is to look for ground turkey meat that is labelled white meat, not just lean ground turkey, this is important when choosing better foods to keep your waist line and doctors appointments in check.
Avocado Turkey Burger
Recipe type: Poultry Recipes
- 2 lbs white meat ground turkey
- 2-3 avocados peeled, pits removed and mashed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger grated fine
- half red pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 green onion chopped
- ½ carrot peeled and grated fine
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ tsp. sweet chilli pepper
- Small hand full fresh parsley chopped
Ingredients for Yogurt Sauce
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ green onion chopped
- ¼ red pepper chopped fine
- ½ tsp. sweet chilli pepper
- pinch or so of cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Remove peel and pit from avocados place them onto a plate and mash them till creamy, place the mashed avocado into a large bowl.
- Place extra lean ground turkey into the same bowl, along with the chopped peppers, green onion,grated carrot, grated ginger and minced garlic.
- Add in whole wheat bread crumbs, ground, parmesan cheese, sweet chilli pepper and fresh parsley.
- Using a wooden spoon mix all your ingredients together until everything is well incorporated.
- Portion the meat mixture and form into equal size burger patties. I use a large ice cream scoop to portion the meat or you can mixture out about ¼ cup for each burger, what ever works best for you. I also have a burger press that makes the burgers into a perfect shape easily, they a very inexpensive and a must have in my kitchen.
- Now its time to fire up the BBQ and get cooking outside. Top each burger with a of Greek yogurt sauce.
Instructions for Greek Yogurt Sauce
- In a bowl mix plain Greek yogurt with chopped green onions, red pepper, sweet chilli pepper, and a hint of cayenne pepper for a little heat, mix it all up.
I used a lovely whole wheat Naan bread for a bun, they taste great especially when lightly grilled on the BBQ giving it a little toasted texture. You can use a thin whole wheat burger bun as well. Keep in mind to choose something healthier, something whole grain to complete this burger experience.