Baked Cinnamon Pita Chips with Vanilla Yogurt Dip
I am really starting to go stir crazy in this house today, it’s raining outside and my car is still out of commission, hopefully it can be fixed tonight, so I can get myself out and about again. It’s been the same story for the whole month of April for me. First the truck needed some attention so, my husband used my vehicle to get to work while the truck was getting fixed, and lucky us when something breaks on that truck, it’s always complicated, it took almost two weeks till it was fixed right. Now my vehicle, and the truck are both in need of repairs, at least its a different part on the truck this time…….I swear the horse and buggy days sound pretty good to me right now. You know what else sounds really good right now is a snack I made ealier today, let me tell you about it.
First we need to establish how much I enjoyed this snack. I Love, love, love baked pita chips for a snack, and not just plain baked pita chips, but great tasting pita chips sprinkled with the natural sweet goodness of cinnamon and nutmeg, dipped in a vanilla Greek yogurt filled with fresh strawberries. When I first took a bite I felt like I was being bad and eating something I shouldn’t be, when all of a sudden, I snap back into reality and see that it’s a baked whole grain snack, with the wholesome goodness of Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries. I added some of the fresh strawberries that I bought way too much of from the grocery store the other day, there will be some more strawberry recipes to come because I am still on the first package. No one here is complaining because they are soooooo good. Strawberries really make great snacks even better.
- 3-4 whole wheat pita breads (usually I count ½ or 1 pita bread per person)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. organic brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2-3 fresh strawberries cut into little pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- On a clean work surface lay out whole wheat pitas, place 2 tbsp. coconut oil into a microwave safe dish and melt for 15-20 seconds, using a brush, brush both sides of pita, cut in half, until you get 8 triangle pieces from each pita, place pieces into a large bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon mixture, toss to coat evenly than lay them out on baking sheet, you may need 2 baking sheets depending on how much you make.
- Place baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes, remove, flip the chips over and place back in the oven, baking them for another 4-5 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness.
- Place vanilla Greek yogurt into a serving bowl, top with cut up strawberries and serve.