Banana Pumpkin Pie
Just in time for a little Thanks-Giving indulgence. I don’t know about you, but Thanks-Giving to me doesn’t seem the same without some delicious pumpkin pie. Now this delicious traditional pie has a little twist to it making it a guilt free adventure for everyone to enjoy. This recipe was a sure winner in my house and I am hoping it will be a winner in your house too.
Sometimes I think I have this need to spice things up and change the same old into something different, sometimes it flops, I’ll be honest, but sometimes its worth the risk and it turns out wonderfully. I truly think this one turned out wonderfully, but I’ll let you be the judge of that.
Sending all my good warm wishes for everyone over this thankful holiday and hope everyone has a wonderful long week-end ahead of them spending it with special family and friends.
Banana Pumpkin Pie
Recipe type: Pie
INGREDIENTS FOR PIE CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup organic blanched almonds ground
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, maybe plus 2 tbsp. depending on the texture, it shouldn’t be too wet, but it needs to hold together.
- ¼ cup organic sugar or for a healthier option great for diabetic’s ¼ cup xyla sugar by Xylitol, it looks, tastes, and bakes just like reg. sugar but it is low calorie and low carb safe for diabetic’s.
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
INGREDIENTS FOR PIE FILLING:
- 1 large can of pure pumpkin 796ml.
- 2 eggs plus 2 tbsp. egg whites
- 1½ soy, almond, or rice milk, if you do not have an intolerance to dairy use 1% something low fat. Darifree is a powdered alternative great for baking, drinking, and as a creamer in your coffee. Another great solution is either unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, it adds an extra flavour which is also nice with the pumpkin pie. I use organic unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 large banana mashed
- ⅓ cup organic sugar or xyla sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown organic sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
METHOD FOR PIR CRUST:
- In a food processor crush graham crackers till you get a fine crumb resembling bread crumbs.
- In a bowl combine crushed graham crackers, almond ground, unsweetened applesauce, sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix until you get a crumbly mixture
- Place mixture into a 11 inch pie plate, pressing the crumbs to form a pie crust around the pie plate.
- Bake in at 400F oven for 4-5 minutes, remove from oven and allow crust to cool.
METHOD FOR PIE FILLING:
- In a bowl whisk 2 eggs and 2 tbsp. egg whites lightly beat.
- Add either dairy/lactose free replacement or powdered dairy replacement. Whisk together with pumpkin mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine pumpkin puree with both sugars, and spices blend well.
- Mashed banana on plate till smooth.
- Combine all the ingredients together and blend until smooth and well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pie crust.
- Bake in oven at 400F for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350F and bake pie for 50-60 minutes until you can poke pie with a toothpick and it comes out clean