Butternut Squash Soup Pasta & Cheese Bake
I’m starting the week off with a recipe that is quick and easy to make, but boasts with plenty of flavour and deliciousness everyone is going to think you spent a good portion of your evening whipping up this perfect dinner when in fact you had time to clean up the entire kitchen and rest your feet waiting for dinner time to finally be here.
This butternut squash soup pasta & cheese bake is yummy enough for the entire family, and if you have picky little eaters that don’t like anything listed in the vegetable category, really just don’t tell them, they will never know, and I bet they will enjoy eating this dinner just as much as everyone else at the table.
This recipe came into my life since I love the taste and creaminess of my Ricotta Butternut Squash Penne Bake, but I just don’t always have the luxury of time on my side, to roast the squash, bring everything to the right temperature, and bake everything in the oven together again, so I created something that is just as tasty, but far less time-consuming, making it a perfect selection for a delicious dinner any day of the week, when every extra minute is worth everything.
I hope this Butternut Squash Soup Pasta & Cheese Bake, make it to your table tonight or even tomorrow night, when ever it does I hope you enjoy it, and that it brings some kind of simplicity to what could, would and may have been a time flying by kind of day. Till next time enjoy and talk to you soon, Ciao for now!
Butternut Squash Soup Pasta & Cheese Bake
Recipe type: Pasta Dish/Dinner
- 1 box of whole wheat Penne
- 1 box 500ml of organic butternut squash soup reduced sodium. I urge you to get a good quality and soup it makes all the difference in the end result of this dish, remember you want to make it simple, but not lose the greatness of flavour you would get in using fresh butternut squash.
- 1 cup grated white old cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp salt free butter
- 2 tbsp. flour/ corn starch or arrow-root powder
- 1 cup of milk, I use skim milk you can use any kind of milk substitute you prefer such as soy or rice milk, don’t use anything sweet or flavoured.
- 2 tbsp. whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp ground flax-seed
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dry mustard or 1 tsp. of Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Cooked and crumbled preservative free bacon (optional) but worth the few extra calories in my opinion:)
- If you’re using bacon cut it up into stripes, cook it and drain it on a plate lined with paper towel, and set it aside for later.
- Grate your cheese and set it aside as well.
- Fill a large pot with water and start to bring it to a boil to cook your pasta while you are preparing the sauce. Cook pasta according to directions on the package till it is al dente since you will be baking this dish in the oven you do not want to over cook the pasta other wise it will be mushy.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F and spray a baking dish with a light coat of non stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet add butter and wait till it stops foaming add flour and whisk quickly for one minute till it starts to smell nutty, add milk whisk till there are no lumps, then add in the entire box of butternut squash soup, 500ml, bring to a gentle boil whisking frequently.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken remove it from the heat, add, nut meg, and dry mustard whisk to blend, then add parmesan, and both cheddar cheeses reserving just a little to sprinkle over the top of your dish, maybe save around ½ a cup. Whisk until the cheese is melted, return to heat and keeping whisking just until heated through, just one minute, remove from heat.
- Once pasta is done cooking drain well, place back in the pot, add sauce to the pasta a little at a time, coating well, until you have as much sauce as you like, make sure its well coated, place the pasta into the baking dish you prepared earlier, add remaining cheese to the top, sprinkle the top of the cheese with bread crumbs and ground flax-seed then if you like add the crumbled bacon.
- Place the baking dish uncovered in the preheated oven of 350F and bake for 25 minutes till cheese melts and top is nicely browned a little, remove from oven, let rest for 2-3 minutes, serve warm with a side salad and your dinner is complete.