Potato Toss Salad
Summer is amazing for fresh cold salads, BBQ, and chilled drinks. When I’m not blogging on the computer, I am outside with my little side kick……my son, soaking up the beautiful weather for as long as we can. Eating outside is a personal family favourite thing to do in the summer. Gazebos are awesome for doing so, keeping pesty bugs out of your face, and mainly out of your food.
This recipe I have for you today is super easy to make, and if you have a side burner on your BBQ its going to be even better because you can make outside without having to be stuck by the stuffy stove inside, so todays recipe is Potato Toss Salad. It goes great with any dinner you have planned and who wouldn’t want to take any left overs with them for a great lunch the next day, if there is any left over that is. I gurantee your hand is going to be sore from you writing out the recipe for people who inquire about it, actually it may be better if you tell them you will print the recipe for them and bring it in the next day, this will save your hand from cramping up.
Now after I leave you with this recipe I will be off to getting some weed whacking done……….sounds like fun doesn’t it? I know not really, but it beats being stuffed inside, talk to you’s tomorrow.
- 1 small 2 lb bag of melody petite potatoes
- 1 green onion chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped fine
- 1-2 celery sticks chopped fine
- 3-4 tbsp. preservative free cooked bacon crumbled or chopped fine
- 3 tbsp. light olive oil mayo
- 1 tbsp. 0% plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp. sweet chilli pepper
- ¼ tsp. tarragon
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Cut up around 4 slices of preservative free bacon and cook in a pan until fully cooked drain on a paper towel and set aside until it cools.
- Clean and wash potatoes, place in a large pot of water and bring to a boil cook for about 10-15 minutes till they can easily be pierced by a fork, drain and cool under cold water, drain completely. Peel off skin and cut potatoes into cubes about four pieces from each potato, toss into a large bowl
- Cut up the onions, celery and red pepper, place into the bowl as well. Make sure potatoes are well cooled if not you can chill them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, before adding ingredients for dressing.
- In a small bowl mix mayo. yogurt, chilli pepper, black pepper, dijon mustard and tarragon, mix it up with a spoon.
- Toss cooled bacon into bowl with potatoes and chopped veggies, pour in mixed dressing and stir gently so you don’t mush up the potatoes, serve right away or chill wrapped till ready.
- If you are not going to be serving the salad right away I prefer to leave the dressing off until I am ready to serve the salad so the potatoes and veggies don’t get soggy. It’s just personal preference.