Roasted Butternut Squash Biscuits
Yesterday I made Ricotta Butternut Squash Penne Bake for dinner, but I made a little too much roasted squash, well actually it was a rather large squash, but I didn’t want to cook just half of it so I baked the whole thing with intentions on making something else with the left over, I just didn’t know what that was going to be at the time. This morning I woke up with the fresh idea of making these delicious roasted butternut squash biscuits, since biscuits are amongst a few of my favourite types of breads to make, I thought they would be perfect. They are so easy to make anyone can make them, even if you have never baked anything in your entire life, baking biscuits would be a great place to start. The best part about this recipe besides the great taste of them, was I got to enjoy the roasted butternut squash twice without having to eat the same thing twice.
I had my little helper helping me out on making these this time, so I didn’t get as many pictures as I would have liked, but sometimes you can only expect a child to be so patient. All he kept telling me was, “Oh not again, more pictures, so I decided to do just a few, since all he really wanted was to play with the left over dough. Hope you all give them a try, they are a perfect biscuit paired along side a grilled chicken or salmon dinner, or even with a tossed green salad for a light lunch, either way hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup puree roasted butter nut squash ( place about 1-1/2-2 cups cubes left over roasted butternut squash with ½ cup skim milk, into a blender and blend till smooth and well pureed.)
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups organic white flour2-12 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 large egg
- Pre-heat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly spray with a low fat non stick baking spray.
- In a food blender place 1-1/2 to 2 cups of left over roasted butternut squash, add ½ cup skim milk and blend till smooth and pureed.
- In a bowl place both flours, with baking powder, and sea salt, whisk to combine, pour out onto a clean working surface, make a round well in the centre,add cubed unsalted butter, and lightly whisked egg, pour it in the centre, than add pureed roasted butternut squash as well and start pulling the flour in from the inside and work your way out, eventually blended all the ingredients together to form the dough. Knead it for a few minutes until it is smooth.
- Roll out the dough into a circle until it is about ¼” thick, cutout the biscuits using biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, place onto baking sheet and place in the oven, bake for 12-15 minutes until the tops are golden in colour and a tooth pick comes out clean, allow to cool for a few minutes, than serve.