Spicy Turkey Sausage & Rotini Pasta with Bechamel Sauce
I can’t deny that I love pasta dishes, it must be the Italian in me, but it gets boring to eat the same thing over and over again. My son loves meatballs, most kids do, but I can’t always eat them, when its pasta night, I like to come up with different combinations just to keep it interesting, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t, but I don’t post those one, I just hide it in shame, feeding the stray animals around, they appreciate it at least
I opted for using a browned spicy turkey sausage in this pasta dish making it a little better of a healthy option, and a little kick with the spicy heat. For the kids you can just simply brown a small amount of mild turkey sausage in a separate pan, or if you don’t like spicy sausage make the entire dish with mild turkey sausage instead. Since its Summer a great option would be to cook the sausage on the BBQ giving it another great layer of flavour, but it was a little cooler the day I made this dish, so I made on the stove top.
If your looking for a spiced up different pasta dish to get out of the same old dishes for a change give this Spicy Turkey Sausage & Rotini Pasta with Bechamel Sauce a try. Ciao for now.
Spicy Sausage & Rotini Pasta with Bechamel Sauce
Ingredients for Bechamel Sauce:
- 3 tbsp. OPTION 1 is organic butter this is a healthy option but has a little higher fat content then option 3
- OPTION 2 is a vegan and lactose free margarine this is a great option for those who need to follow a lactose free diet usually helping those with IC/PBS and GLUTEN INTOLERANCE or
- OPTION 3 is smart balance buttery spread with omega 3, this is a healthier option promoting heart health. Choose one of the 3 options.
- 2 tbsp. organic unrefined, unbleached white flour (as a substitute for a gluten free diet use either equal measurements of arrow root starch or sweet rice flour)
- 1 tsp. of fresh garlic pureed
- 2 cups of skim milk ( I use lactose free skim milk some people with IC/PBS can not tolerate the lactose in milk)
- ½ tsp. of oregano and basil each you can also use fresh herbs which will taste better, just a small hand full chopped up fine will do the ttrick.
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper( omit if not tolerable in your IC/PBS diet.)
- ½ cup organic fresh grated parmesan cheese
Ingredients for Sausage and Pasta Toss:
- 1 box whole wheat rotini pasta if you are looking to make a gluten-free dish use your favourite GF pasta. I prefer to use corn pasta instead of rice pasta, it cooks a little more firm and has better taste in my opinion, but its what ever you prefer.
- 4-5 links of spicy turkey sausage
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- about half a package of cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Instructions for Bechamel Sauce:
- In a sauce pan melt butter on low heat, add finely pureed garlic saute for 1 minute, add flour one tbsp. at a time whisking completely to avoid any clumps.
- Add milk whisk together turn up heat to medium and allow to boil over and thicken about 5 mins.
- Season with sea salt, black pepper if tolerable in IC/PBS diet, oregano, and basil, whisk to blend.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan blending in, set aside on a warmer or just cover with a lid to keep warm while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Start preparing the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta according to directions on the package, till al dente, drain and set aside, for a few minutes if the rest of the meal is not ready yet. I try to organize my time so the sausage and veggies are ready by the time the pasta is done cooking.
Instructions for Spicy Sausage Pasta:
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet, saute garlic and onions for 1-2 minutes till softened, stirring so not to burn, add in cut up spicy sausage, cover with a lid and allow to brown for 3-4 minutes, then stir over, cover again, and brown the other side another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove lid toss in red peppers, saute for 2 minutes, add in chopped tomatoes, corn and peas, cook just till warmed about 1-2 minutes, add in cooked and well drain pasta, pour in Bechamel sauce, as much or as little as you like toss to coat everything and simmer for 1 minute just to make sure the pasta and sauce are heated through. Sprinkle a little fresh parmesan over top and serve warm.