I don’t know if anyone is starting to notice how much I love coconuts, and pistachios, its starting to become an addiction to bake and cook with the two. I’m also obsessing over avocados, and all types of berries, mainly because they are so fresh right now, and what better way to kick-start the beautiful summer weather than with fresh berry everything. This recipe I have for you today doesn’t have berries in it……boo, I know, but it won’t be a boo anymore once you take a bit of this fluffy, moist and sweetly delicious Zucchini Pistachio bread. I have included coconut and pistachios in this recipe, only two of my favourite food items right now, to make an all time traditional zucchini bread into a new all time favourite. You are going to be wanting to make this zucchini bread over and over again.
Zucchini Pistachio Bread
Recipe type: Bread
Serves: 1 bread loaf
- 1 cup organic white flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of zucchini grated real fine
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 6 tbsp. Xyla sugar by Xylitol
- 4 tbsp. coconut palm sugar also by Xylitol
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. of egg whites or egg substitutes equal to 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 20-25 unsalted pistachios removed from shell
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp. coconut palm sugar or Xyla for diabetics
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Pre heat oven to 350F
- In a bowl combine both flours, baking powder, and baking soda whisk and set aside.
- In another bowl grate zucchini real fine, mix in sugars, cinnamon, nut meg and applesauce stir well to combine, add in egg whites and stir till well mixed, than add in coconut oil and vanilla give it a good stir, and start adding flour mixture blending well after each addition, if mixture seems to dry add in a tbsp of milk at a time no more than ¼ cup
- Spray a loaf pan with a low-fat baking spray and pour batter into pan.
- In a small food processor chop up unshelled unsalted pistachios, place them into a bowl, add sugar, cinnamon and unsweetened coconut, give a toss to mix evenly together. Sprinkle evenly all over the top of the loaf.
- Place bread into oven and bake for 55-60 minutes until golden brown in colour and it starts to slightly crack on top or pull away from the pan.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, than remove from pan slice and serve warm or completely cooled if you prefer.