Zucchini’s taste so sweet and amazing especially when they are lightly grilled. It’s hard to keep in mind how good they are for you, when all you can think of is how great they taste. It gets even better when you pair it with a slice of prosciutto and ricotta cheese, turning them into these divine, delicious and amazing zucchini wraps. They are a perfect appetizer served fresh for an entrance to a summer dinner or get together, or you can have them for a light lunch.
Zucchini are a nice way to introduce healthy eating into your home, the smaller ones are usually sweeter, and people tend to like them more. I love to use zucchini as a type of wrap, instead of bread or pasta for a nice vegetarian or light dish at least once a week. Zucchini are an extra plus in your diet if you are trying to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure because of the high amounts of dietary fibre they contain. I used ricotta cheese in this recipe not only because it tastes good, but also because it is one of the best types of cheese to eat when trying to eat healthy and a low-fat diet, even better than the usual diet cheese of choice, cottage cheese. The light ricotta cheese has even half the fat of the regular ricotta cheese, with very little difference in taste as long as you buy a brand of good quality.
Zucchini Wraps is a recipe that I truly enjoy because of its great taste, beautiful and fun presentation and of its nutritional and health benefits, so enjoy or serve a plate of zucchini wraps next time you have a get together with family and friends or make a few just for you
- 2 zucchini’s sliced length wise about ¼” thick
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1-1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup light ricotta cheese
- Slices of prosciutto amount depends on how slices of zucchini you have, I use 1 slice of prosciutto per slice of zucchini.
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped chives
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Slice zucchini using a mandolin or sharp knife, cut them about ¼” thick
- Place them on a dish drizzle them with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Heat up a non stick grilling pan or you can BBQ them outside if it’s a nice day.
- Place the sliced zucchini in a single row, grill them for about 3-4 minutes flip them over and grill the other side for 3-4 minutes s well, until they soften and have nice browned grill marks.
- Remove from pan, place onto a dish and allow to cool for a few minutes until they are easy to handle.
- In the mean time get a small bowl and mix ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese together, add chopped chives and parsley give a stir to evenly mix all ingredients together.
- Once the zucchini have cooled, place them flat onto a clean work surface, place a slice of prosciutto on top. I use a whole slice of prosciutto, I just fold it to fit the zucchini.
- Place about a tsp. of the ricotta mixture on top of the prosciutto, gently spread it out over entire surface.
- Start at one end and roll everything up till you get to the opposite end, place a tooth pick through to hold it together. Place the rolled zucchini onto a serving place and finish the rest.
- You can make these ahead of time during the day, wrap them with a plastic wrap and store them in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.